Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Menus 8/31 - 9/4

I'm late posting again...but before I list my menus I want to tell you (locals) to go shopping at Winco this week! You should have received an ad in the mail this weekend. They are opening a new store in Fresno and so the Clovis store is having a Grand Opening sale too. I saved about $20 today with the coupons from the ad. Some of my favorite deals:
Honey Nut Cheerios $.98 (coupon necessary)
Capri Sun 10 pack $.98 (coupon necessary)
3 lbs frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts $3.98 (coupon necessary)
Santiam canned veggies $.28 each (coupon necessary)
Bar S Bacon $.98 (coupon necessary)
Corn on the cob $.10 each
Ground beef (extra lean 7% fat) was $2.98/lb but has an instant coupon on the package for $3 off
Tri-tip $1.78/lb (!!)
Cheese Winco brand $1.98/lb
Deli Turkey $1.98/lb

I had so much fun shopping today because I felt like everything was on sale!

On a completely unrelated note, my chickens are laying eggs again and it was so fun to NOT have to buy eggs at the store! We're getting about 2 eggs a day (1 from each of 2 chickens, 3rd chicken not laying yet).

Ok...so here we go:

Monday, 8/31: Baked Potatoes

I had to be creative last night because I hadn't been shopping yet...so we had baked potatoes with chili con carne, cheese, sour cream and bacon. Yum.

Tuesday, 9/1: Chicken Divan

This is a yummy casserole - especially if you like curry.

3 heads fresh broccoli
2-3 chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can water or milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. curry powder
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Cook broccoli, drain and place in 9x13 dish. Simmer chicken, cut up, and arrange on broccoli. Mix next 5 ingredients and pour over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve with rice.

*I usually use about 1 broccoli crown and it seems to be enough for my family - and probably about half as much chicken too. Also, if you're not a big fan of mayo, sour cream works well too.

Wednesday, 9/2: ???

Eric is going to the vineyard straight from work so my friend invited me and the girls over for dinner. I will not be cooking...hooray!

Thursday, 9/3: Glazed Chicken over Couscous Pilaf

I found this in a cookbook my sister-in-law gave me years and years ago. Pillsbury Fast and Healthy cookbook. I've never made couscous before so I thougth this would be fun. It says to broil the chicken, but I think I am going to try and bake it - seems like oftentimes meat gets tough in the broiler...

Pilaf
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
3/4 cup water
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. ginger
1/2 cup uncoooked couscous

Chicken
2 T. orange juice
1 T. apricot preserves or honey
1/2 t. spicy brown mustard
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

In medium saucepan, combine peas, water, salt, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in couscous. Cover; let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine orange juice, preserves and mustard; bled well. Pour half of mixture (about 2 tablespoons) into another small dish; reserve for topping. Place chicken on broiler pan; bursh with about half of remaining orange juice glaze.

Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 5 minutes. Turn chicken. Brush with glaze; discard any remaning glaze. Broil an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear.

Stir couscous mixture lightly with fork; Serve chicken on top of couscous and drizze with reserved orange juice mixture.

Friday, 9/4: Tri Tip on the BBQ, corn on the cob, mashed taters

I {heart} tri-tip. I can't help myself - I always overeat when tri-tip is on the menu. I'll probably just sprinkle it with Pappys and have Eric BBQ it. Sheesh, now I can't wait 'til Friday!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment