Monday, September 14, 2009

Menus 9/14 - 9/18

Monday 9/14: Chicken Pot Pie



I made this chicken pot pie tonight and it was FANTASTIC! It is from the Southern Living Top Rated cookbook. It was a very cool day today and this was the perfect dinner.



1- 15 oz package refrigerated pie crust
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup all purpose flour
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/3 cups milk
4 cups chopped roasted chicken breast
1 cup sliced carrots, cooked
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. hot sauce



Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and celery and saute until tender.
Add flour, stirring until blended; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in broth and milk, stirring constantly, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, sliced carrots, and remaining ingredients.


Pour into a 9x13 pan and cover with refrigerated pie crust. Cut slits in pie crust.



Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.



Yield: 8 servings

Here's what mine looked like:



I did a few things differently from the recipe. As usual, I didn't use real onions - I used dried chopped onion. I only used 1/2 cup butter because I didn't want to cut into another cube! But it was totally fine! I used fresh carrots that I sliced and boiled - they're so much better than frozen. I didn't add any poultry seasoning or hot sauce...it didn't seem necessary to me. But speaking of poultry seasoning...if you want to save some money - buy chicken bouillon and make your own chicken broth instead of buying it canned. 1 t. of bouillon per 1 cup of water - it goes a LONG way - much cheaper than buying canned broth. Also, as you can see from my picture, I didn't use a 9x13 pan - this is a Corningware pan - not sure what the measurements are but it is a little smaller around than a 9x13 but it is deeper. Make sense? Anyway - try this now - it was so yummy.

Tuesday, 9/15: Sausage with White Beans

I'm going to send you to my friend Michelle's cooking blog Inside Our Kitchen for this recipe - I saw it over there and had to try it. Click the link above for the recipe.

Wednesday, 9/16: Baked Linguine with Meat Sauce

This recipe is also from the Southern Living Top Rated cookbook. Looks yummy.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=258211

Thursday, 9/17: BOOK CLUB

I'm having delicious chinese food at book club....haven't thought of anything just yet for Eric and the girls...

Friday, 9/18: Tri-tip

Of course! BBQ tri-tip - probably some mashed taters and corn on the cob. I love Tri-tip Fridays! ;-)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I always use the bullion and make my own broth. Especially if you are making something with a lot of broth like soup, you could spend SO much money just to buy all the broth!

    Good luck with the Sausage and Beans. It was a weird one for sure, but I kind-of liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete